Saturday, October 1, 2011

Rebekah's Kitchen: sweet potato biscuit recipe

My friend Liz always posts and pins things that sound so good to me, so when I saw these on her pinterest, I knew I just had to try them!  I've never even made regular biscuits before--since I used to always get the Pillsbury ones free with coupons and we don't eat them very often, but I thought these would be tasty with our chili and i had all the ingredients. I have been on a sweet potato kick anyway!  The recipe was easy, though I had never frozen butter or grated it before.  They turned out delicious!  The sweet potato added a bit of sweetness and made the biscuit more dense and moist.  They didn't rise like I thought they would, so they looked a bit flat. I think I rolled them too thin to begin with. Regardless, I would still make them again:)

I cut the recipe in half since there are only two of us and I didn't take pictures of every step because I was trying to get dinner going and forgot! Anyway, here's what you need for a full recipe:



  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar {i substituted splenda}
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup whole milk {i substituted skim}
  • 1 cup baked, mashed sweet potato 
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter,  frozen
  • Heavy cream for brushing the tops {I skipped this step in an effort to be healthier}
First, preheat the oven to 400 and mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl.

Mix the mashed sweet potato and milk in a different bowl.

Grate the frozen butter using the large holed side of the grater and toss it in with the dry ingredients.  Stir them until the butter is coated.  Mix the sweet potato mixture into the dry ingredients and "mix lightly until dough forms a shaggy mass."

Put dough onto a floured surface and knead only until the dough comes together.  Mine was still lumpy which the recipe says is ok!

Then roll the dough out and cut into biscuit circles.  The less you handle the it, the better--so when you have to use the scraps to re-roll keep this in mind.

Place them on the cookie sheet {i used my silpat mat}.  Here is where you brush with heavy cream, but I didn't.  My half recipe made 5 large biscuits!

I, once again, forgot to take an after picture, but they turned out looking just a bit bigger and were quite delicious.  The recipe link above has a few more details you can check out if you want to!  Enjoy!

-R

1 comment:

  1. they look so good- I am going to try them:))) love you!

    ReplyDelete