Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Rebekah's Kitchen: homemade crockpot applesauce

Here's a few sweet pictures of my little love first...then i'll get to the recipes!
last week we had a cold spell and had to break out the winter clothes {which are mostly 6-9 months and some are still a bit big}, but aren't they so cute?


pretty sure he is teething--i can see a white line through his gums and he's been biting a LOT on everything! time will tell.


I love him!


Anyway, these past 2 weeks I have been baking, baking, baking.  It makes me tired just thinking about it.  Because we are trying not to buy much this month at the grocery store, I have been resorting to making things from scratch.  So far I have made bread {twice}, pizza dough {and now have 4 in the freezer}, apple pie, pumpkin gooey butter cake {which i am sorry to say is still mostly sitting around waiting to be eaten--the texture is way to close to pumpkin pie for me! disappointed.}, and homemade apple sauce in the crockpot. whew!


Here's the play by play of the applesauce...so easy!


First, peel the apples. You can use as many or as few as you want. The recipe I used called for 4 large apples and I used 9 small ones.  Just adapt the other measurements for how much you want to make. You could make more and freeze or can it {i wish i had!}.

Then slice and core them.  I used my apple slicer to make it faster, but you could do this by hand and just quarter them.

Put the apples into the crockpot and add the following:
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
lemon juice from one lemon
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. brown sugar



Turn the crockpot on low for 4-6 hours.  Your house will smell amazing and you will have some delicious applesauce when you are all done!  I used my potato masher to break up some of the chunks and then served it with dinner- success!  I would have taken an after photo, but i forgot to and it's already gone :)

1 comment:

  1. I love Thomas and miss him so much! We need to ichat soon so I can see the little guy. Hope you had fun with mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete