Saturday, September 24, 2011

No-sew DIY roman shade

Two days ago our kitchen window blind came CRASHING down as I was trying to raise it and the top piece broke in half.  Other than making me almost jump into our dining room,  it was now useless.  I ran to Target to get a replacement and they were out of the size I needed.  So we just did without for a night.  


Then, sometime in the evening I remembered that I had seen a super easy tutorial for making a roman shade.  I looked it up and began dreaming.


The next day Thomas and I went to Home Depot and they had the blind size we needed.  We also ran to Hobby Lobby {conveniently located in the same plaza} to grab the other supplies I didn't have.  If you decide to embark on this project, here's what you need:



And here is what our window looked like before.  I actually really love these curtains {sewn by my sweet mama} so I moved them to the mud room.

This is the tutorial I used.  It was super easy to do and took me less than an hour from start to finish.  If you tackle this, make sure that your shade is straight before you glue.  I had to go back and fix it a little because it came out crooked--oops!  Here's what our window looks like now.


I love how the shade lets a bit more light into the kitchen than the curtains did.  And I love the new fabric that I picked!  I bought 1 and 1/2 yards and had leftover, but our window is pretty small. Oh, and it goes great with another cute addition that I found free online.  Just print and frame.
A great reminder-- and no, it's not hanging crookedly, I just took a slanted picture:)
 So, there you have it-- my newest project.  Now I want to make a roman shade for EVERY room.  What do you think?  Any other easy tutorials out there that I should know about?  I am really in the mood to make some new {cheap} things to spice up our apt-- after living somewhere over 2 years, i just need some change! :)


-R



No comments:

Post a Comment