Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How to make sure that your slipcover stays put!

Along with most of the furniture in our apt., we were sweetly given a hand-me-down couch when we moved to Louisville.  It was a huge step up from the old couch we had and left in Richmond that basically sucked you into it, but it isn't in perfect condition and it didn't match anything else that we owned.  Enter the slipcover.  

Honestly, I don't love the slipcover we have.  It was the only one that I could find that would fit, but it will do for now.  The biggest problem with the cover is that I am CONSTANTLY having to fix it.  Scratch that--I WAS constantly having to fix it.  It was always, always, always coming untucked from the crack between the cushions and back of the couch.  My first attempt to fix it was to put a shower curtain rod {that we already had} down into the crack to help hold it in.  While it did hold the slipcover in, it was still constantly messy and many times the cushions would scoot forward and someone would inevitably be sitting on it--nothing says comfortable like sitting on a hard plastic rod.  

Then my mom came to visit and had the most amazing idea {thanks mom!!!!}.  We affectionately call them "Anne's Surefit Grippers"--yes, we made up a ridiculous name because we're that cool.  It's ok to be jealous.  

Back to the grippers. I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat by now, just waiting to hear the secret {that is if you didn't already quit reading....}.  

So, my mom had the amazing idea to attach pieces of rug grippers with spray adhesive to the cushions underneath the slipcover to hold it in place.  Super easy- and if it didn't work, we wouldn't lose anything because we didn't plan on ever using the couch without a cover.

And it WORKED.  I wish I had a before picture of what was constantly happening before this new amazing solution, but I don't.  Just imagine a constantly rumply, messy slipcover every time someone sat down.  Then imagine me tucking in the slipcover about 8-10 times a day and it still being messy.  Got the picture?

Well, here's the after picture:
ignore the bad coloring and baby clutter....just look at that smoooooooooth slipcover!!!

I have NOT fixed that slipcover once.  Not once! And it still looks perfect!  If you have a slipcover issue like we did and you aren't going to use the couch or chair without one, you should totally try this too!  You could also always flip the cushion over if you ended up wanting to uncover it.

God bless you, mom, for making my life a million times easier and less messy!

Thomas likes it too--though not as much as he likes his dinosaur.
isn't his little thinking face darling?  look at those cheeks. love it.
i just love this sweet little boy.
Let me know if you try out this easy solution.  So awesome!

-R

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebekah, what slip cover did you get? It looks comfortable and I like the color. Good tip on the grips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so tired of adjusting slipcovers! Im not sure exactly what you did though. Did you cut rug grippers as big as the cushions and glue them down with spray adhesive?

    ReplyDelete