Thursday, July 21, 2011

Rebekah's kitchen: no-bake energy bites

I've been wanting to make homemade granola bars, but haven't found a recipe yet that I am thrilled with, so when I saw these energy bites, I decided to try them out!  The original recipe is posted here.  Despite the odd name {at least in my opinion}, these were SUPER easy to make, SUPER yummy and SUPER variable.  You could really use so many different ingredients- the options are endless!  If you click over to where I found the recipe, she has some good ideas for different combinations. I kept mine pretty basic because I already had everything but the dried coconut.


Here's what you need:
1/2 cup nut butter {i used peanut}
1/3 cup honey 
1 cup oats 
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 teaspoons vanilla {i didn't measure- just threw a douse of it in}
1-2 teaspoons of your favorite spice {i did not know what to do here- so I just tossed in a little cinnamon and it turned out delicious!}
1/2 cup of other additive {i used chocolate chips.  i think nuts would be really good too.}


Mix the nut butter, honey and vanilla together.

Add in all the other ingredients and mix.  I added a few extra oats here since it was still a little sticky. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.

Take out and roll into balls. 

Keep in the refrigerator or freeze.  They apparently freeze indefinitely, but I doubt they will be around long enough to find out!  The recipe said they make 2 dozen and mine only made about 1 dozen.  I guess I made them bigger than I was supposed to!  


These turned out to be a great quick pick me up {especially for a nursing mama!}.


-R

2 comments:

  1. Just had to come let you know that I've been making this yummy recipe nonstop for last couple weeks! It's going to be the death of me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'm glad you like them-- they are SO addicting..and so easy! I put craisins in some I made the other day- SO good!

    ReplyDelete