Thursday, June 9, 2011

Do not be anxious

This morning as I was helping Thomas get drowsy for his nap by rocking and singing to him, I began to sing a song I learned as a child.  In fact, I am pretty sure that my Dad used to sing it to me at bedtime.  The lyrics are really simple, but something I definitely needed to hear.
I cast all my cares upon you. I lay all of my burdens down at your feet. And anytime I don't know what to do, I will cast all my cares upon you.
There have been lots of times in the past year and especially the past 3 months of being a new mom where I just didn't know what to do. I'm confident every new mom must feel this way sometimes. I have plenty of babysitting/ nannying experience, but I still at times feel lost.  How can I mother in a way that leads my little son to Jesus, that teaches him the right things, that helps him learn to sleep on his own {and so many other things}?  Many times, instead of casting my cares on the Lord, I try desperately to figure everything out on my own. Often I have prayed, but not really believed that the Lord could do what I was asking.  But God in His grace is reminding me today that He can and that He cares.  It made me think of this verse that I memorized years ago...
"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-6
 It says to rejoice always- even when I feel anxious, even when I don't know what to do.  And then it reminds me that the Lord IS near.  He is not far away.  He cares about even the trivial things- He tells me not to be anxious about anything.  And then He reminds me that when I do give those things that I am anxious about over to Him, that His peace will guard my heart and mind.  Peace that transcends all understanding. {To transcend: to pass beyond the limit of; to be greater than as in intensity of power, to surpass} So this morning I am rejoicing that though I am full of sin and unbelief, the Lord cares about my cares and I will cast them on Him.


-R

1 comment:

  1. exactly what I needed to be reminded of this very morning!!

    ReplyDelete