Thursday, February 17, 2011

sirens.

Yesterday, I passed three of these just on the way home from Home Depot. Three!
Sirens always make me think back to when I was in 2nd grade and attended a small Christian school in Schenectady, NY.  The school was an old 3 floor building that housed K-12 and elementary classes were located on the top floor of the building (see picture below).

The building didn't have air conditioning (though it appears they have added some window units!) and for the most part, we didn't need it since we attended school from Sept.- June and the weather in NY is much cooler than the south.  BUT there were some brutally warm days and my teacher, Mrs. Baker, would often open the windows and run the fan to get fresh air.  Especially when the windows were open, you could easily hear the surrounding city noises.  I'll never forget hearing ambulance and fire truck sirens in that small classroom because my teacher always did the same thing.  Whenever we would hear sirens, she stopped whatever she was doing and we would pray for the people that were affected by whatever tragedy was happening.  I can remember her telling us that it didn't matter that we didn't know exactly what was going on because God already knew. 


To this day, when I hear sirens, I follow the example of my teacher.  It's a habit now that I've kept for 18 years.  And yesterday, after stopping to pray so many times in the car, I started thinking about how thankful I am that I've had so many godly people influence me for the Lord in my 24 years of life.  My parents, of course, come to mind first and foremost as they have continually guided and pointed me toward the Lord, but there are so many others that the Lord has used along the way who poured time and energy into me!  Some who probably don't even know or remember doing it.  It makes me not only thankful for the faithful saints in the body of Christ, but spurs me on to want to work hard for the Lord.  


It reminds me of this verse...Galatians 6:9 - "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."


So, that's what I've been thinking about the past few days.  


By the way, I went to the doc today and she gave me back my freedom!  My BP was normal and everything looked good, so I am back to doing what I want...and that means spending a FUN weekend with my sister and brother-in-law!


-R

3 comments:

  1. My Mom used to pray with us in the car if we passed an emergency vehicle. I still do!

    So glad you are doing better and are free again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my student teaching there when I went to Saint Rose...didn't realize/remember you went there...nice, small school.

    YAY for being off bed rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing memory! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete