Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rebekah's kitchen: freezing cookie dough

Inevitably, in our house if I bake anything, I throw half of it away.  It doesn't matter if it's something we both absolutely love.  We just cannot eat baked goods fast enough and since we both like things soft and moist, once they get crunchy and hard, they find the trash can.  I've tried only making half of a recipe and this seems to help some, but you can't make half of everything...especially when it's not from scratch!  Try adding half an egg? My mom told me about a friend of hers who freezes her cookie dough in a log-like (sounds appetizing, huh?) form, so that you just slice it and bake it when you want it.  I know some people freeze the cookies in actual balls, but this seemed like WAY too much work for me, so I decided to try the other method.  Can I just say it works like a charm? Plus, the other day when we wanted chocolate chip cookies, I didn't have to do a thing except pre-heat the oven and put them on the sheet! YAY!  I know there are break and bake cookies out there that taste pretty good, but in my opinion they don't taste near as delicious as the Betty Crocker bag mixes (which I can often get for FREE with coupons).  And dare I say, I think Betty's are better than homemade!


Anyway, this afternoon I made some delicious oatmeal cookies to share with a friend who was coming over and of course with James tonight.  Since they weren't from scratch I decided to once again freeze half of them!
Thank you, Betty, for such wonderful mixes!
 After baking a dozen cookies (because the size I make them yield about 2 dozen in a batch), I got out a piece of foil and a piece of wax paper.  Then, I took the other half of the dough and shaped it into a log.  I wrapped my dough in wax paper first and then the foil so it doesn't stick to the wrapper.

Then, I just labeled it and threw it in the freezer...voila! 

Now the next time we want cookies I just have to slice and bake! Thanks, mom, for the great idea!


-R

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I love this idea! I've been missing out by buying the pre-made dough... We can never get through that fast enough either! The joys of a freezer.

    ReplyDelete