Friday, April 23, 2010

DIY crazy!

Yesterday (on my day off) I went a little DIY crazy! We acquired this super cute table which was an old, children's school desk from James' mom. Thanks Mom! It was in rough shape. I started by cleaning the whole thing from head to toe and then sanding the drawer because it was not sliding (it now slides, but not super well). I also sanded some of the top so that the chipping paint wouldn't be able to be seen under my paint and used some goop (LOVE that stuff) on one of the legs that was loose. Then I got right down to painting....

Here's the BEFORE:


And AFTER (sorry photo is a little dark):


Cute, right? I like it!

Project #2 was a bit more complicated! I got my inspiration for the idea from a fellow blogger and friend, Beth. Check it out here....and she got the inspiration from this great blog. I can't imagine taking on a whole wall, but it looked awesome when she was done! Since I acquired this cute table from our neighbor who was getting rid of it, I decided to try the new stencil technique. I should have taken a before picture, but forgot so I will just describe the table before and you will have to imagine it. It was black with cute metal knobs that were twiney (a word?). Originally I was going to keep the knobs, but after the paint they did not look right anymore, so we went to Hobby Lobby and got glass knobs (so cute and 50% off!). Ok enough words, here is the finished product. Don't you just love it?

aerial view of stenciled top:




I have to admit that though it was annoying to create and cut out the whole stencil and then stand with my back bent over the table stenciling- it was worth it! I LOVE it! I don't even want to put anything on it that would cover up the top! Haha, what do you think?

-R

4 comments:

  1. oh my- they are both amazing!!!! You may have found your new calling in life- I'm not kidding!!!!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it love it love it! Can't wait to see it in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPER CUTE stuff!!!! i love it!!! i need to take some lessons from you!!! plus find some free stuff people are giving away!!! : ) plus...please do share ALL your deals....do you check on a website??? i used to have time to match up stuff....but now i am lucky to get my cpns CUT!!!! but...LOVED all your deals!!!! need to get back on the stick and try to do better so open for some pointers......
    thanks!
    Mer ps. miss seeing you when i go to pick up Brendley...who btw was reading at 198 this week!!! WOWZERS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, Rebekah! They look great! I'm going to have to enlist your help with some decorating when we move... Great job with the coupon deals too. I got fifty something dollars worth of groceries at publix this week for 15.50 and was pretty pleased, but I think you've got me beat!! Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks. Love you both! - Jen

    ReplyDelete