Tonight's meal=chicken pot pie (yum!) We've have used this recipe once before and LOVED it. It was fairly simple to make and delicious! You should probably try it next time you don't know what to make for dinner. We substituted skim milk for 1 percent (to make it a little healthier), corn for carrots (because that's what we had) and cooked chicken for canned chicken (just as healthy, you can't tell a difference and it's SUPER easy)! ENJOY! Pictures of the before and after below!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups 1 percent milk
- 1 10-ounce package frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 9-inch store-bought piecrust, thawed if frozen
- Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the chicken in a pot of simmering water until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes; let cool, then shred.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook, stir-ring, until they begin to soften, 6 to 8 minutes (do not let them darken). Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and cook until evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the milk and simmer until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken, peas, thyme, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Transfer to a shallow 1 1/2- to 2-quart baking dish.
- Lay the crust on top, pressing to seal. Cut several vents in the crust. Place the pot pie on a baking sheet and bake until bubbling and the crust is golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
notice the cute leaf cut-outs :)